It’s shaping up to be a pretty sweltering summer. While it is important to stay hydrated by drinking water, you can also consume your water by eating. If you eat foods that are mainly water, like melons, they contribute to your hydration! We’ve compiled a list of some popular melons and their associated health benefits:
- Protects Skin: Move over oranges, because a serving of cantaloupe (1 cup), has 100% of your daily vitamin C needs. Vitamin C, in turn, helps the body produce collagen which helps protect the skin from harmful UV rays.
- Better Bowel Movements: Cantaloupes can also help regulate bowel movements as they are high in fiber.
- Post Workout Hydration: These melons make a great post workout snack as they contain potassium which is an electrolyte mineral and helps with hydration.
- Brain Health: One cup of this sweet fruit contains 8% of your daily B6 vitamin. B6 is needed to help kids form correct brain development. It is also needed in adults for correct brain function.
- Stronger Bones: Due to this melon being rich in calcium, it helps strengthen bones (including teeth).
- Eye Health: Honeydew melon contains zeaxanthin and lutein. These two antioxidants are known to help keep eyes strong and healthy.
- Supports a Healthy Immune System: Watermelon contains beta carotene which our bodies then are able to turn into Vitamin A which helps support our immune system by keeping it healthy.
- Super low in fat: A serving of watermelon has only 0.2 grams of fat.
- Helps Fight Inflammation: This fruit has lots of lycopene which is great for helping treat inflammation.
- Helps Control Blood Pressure: Watermelon has an amino acid called citrulline, which helps manage one’s blood pressure.